SPAM 2012 Exhibition
Science, Performance, Art, Music
Call for Proposals
Thursday, November 1, 2012-Saturday, December 1, 2012
Thursday, November 1, 2012 5-9p.m.
CoInside 1919 Houston Ave. Houston, TX 77007
Call for entries:
Friday, September 7, 2012-Friday, October 5, 2012
Type of Entries:
Artwork, Original Music Compositions, Performance Art Pieces
Entry Fee: $30
Felipe Lopez (Visual Art/Performance Art)
Meghan Hendley (Music/Performance Art)
Diyva Murthy (Visual Art/Performance Art)
Culture Pilot team (Visual Art/Music/Performance Art): Tim DeSilva, Javier Fadul, Shawna Forney, Kara Gray, Grace Rodriguez
Exhibition Description: SPAM 2012 is an inaugural multidisciplinary exhibition that focuses on the application of any field of science to the genres of visual art, music, and performance art. Houston based artists may submit their concept and images of their work that describe and display the combination of science (i.e. neurology, psychology, astronomy, biology, physics, etc.) with the arts in order to contribute to the idea of multidisciplinary combinations to exhibit forms of scientific study. This exhibition is in collaboration with CoInside and Culture Pilot.
CoHouston: This exhibition is also in collaboration with CoHouston. CoHouston is an initiative highlighting Houston's creative culture and the impact it has on the creative economy. CoHouston will manifest its first city-wide "Open House" in November 2012, during which local organizations will host events, shows, performances and workshops that showcase their projects and services while inspiring people to start thinking "Creative. Collaborative. Community.”
Pieces in the fields of visual art, music, and performance art will be presented to the jury and chosen for the exhibition based on the following (but not limited to):
- The facilitation of direct application of psychological, neurological, neuroscientific, and/or other forms of science research findings to the arts
- The integration of research into the piece
- The artistic quality of the piece
- The originality of the piece
- The potential success of dissemination of the products of this research to
- the larger community
15 pieces of artwork (sculptural, video, instillation, and 2-D included), 3 musical compositions, and 1 performance art piece will be featured in the exhibition. A book featuring artist name, bio, concept, and image will be published and available for sale during the exhibition.
Individuals may submit the following items to the jury including:
- Name, Contact Information (email, phone number), Address, discipline
- Artist Bio and Statement
- Concept of piece (artwork, original music, performance art) exhibition (in 800 words or less)
- Description of piece for exhibition (in 800 words or less)
- Individuals must be a resident of Houston, Texas or the radius of 100 miles outside city limits
- Visual art entries may submit up to 10 submissions along with the appropriate concept(s), one flat submission fee of $30 per artist
- Music and Performance Art entries are limited to 1 piece per individual, one submission fee of $30 per piece
- Submissions are judged 70% on concept, 30% on quality of the piece
- Submissions (concept, images) may be submitted via USB, DVD, or hard copy printed to CoInside.
- Checks or Cash payments for submission/publication of winning pieces ($30) must be made to CoInside
- Items may be dropped off Monday-Friday 8:30a.m.-6:00pm. at CoInside 1919 Houston Ave. Houston, Tx 77007
- All submission materials and the entry fee must be submitted by 5p.m. of October 5, 2012 to CoInside
- Artists will be contacted via phone and/or email by Friday, October 19, 2012
- Concepts, descriptions, and final piece must be original
- Music compositions must be between 3 min.-15 min. in length and must be recorded for listening at the exhibition
- Performance Art piece must be between 10 min. -15 min. in length and be able to be performed on opening night and/or closing night of the exhibition.
- Please contact O'Neil Public Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details
- Artists must be present at the opening of the exhibition (unless due to emergencies)
For more information or press inquires, please contact:
O’Neil Public Relations
For more information on submission or to submit, please contact:
Culture Pilot: www.culturepilot.com
Culture Pilot is an interactive branding and creative design studio established in 2003. We specialize in brand development, design and execution combined with neuromarketing insight, emerging web technologies, community management, interactive user-experience design and front-end development.
Culture Pilot works with small to mid-sized companies looking to grow, innovate and position themselves as thought leaders in their target market, as well as with creative entities in need of illustration, art direction, web presence, and packaging. We are "Accelerating Design & Marketing Culture" -- join us in driving cultural innovation forward!
Specialties: branding, identity, interactive design, user experience
CoInside is Houston’s progressive co-working, collaborative, creative work space. We represent the diverse un-incorporators, innovators and the independent business stylists living outside the box of traditional business thinking. Housed in a beautifully restored two story firehouse, we are committed to creating an environment that promotes transparent, sustainable, supportive, collaborative business practices. CoInside members believe that “Independents do it differently”.
CoWorking: CoWorking is about building community. It’s a conscious decision for independent professionals to interact with others from differing crafts and industries in an open working environment. It’s an appreciation for a flexibility for those who value the independence, but miss the shoulder-to-shoulder interaction with peers that’s offered in a traditional office environment. We enjoy collaborating with others in an open office environment and sharing in the experience and knowledge of our coworkers…and we are highly selective.