Fresh Arts | Arts Resource Center
ARC Exhibition Proposal Guidelines
Fresh Arts accepts Artist Exhibition Proposals twice a year.
NEXT DEADLINE: October 7, 2012
Fresh Arts is a non-profit organization and arts resource center actively seeking proposals from Houston-based artists for exhibitions in its ARC Exhibition series. Fresh Arts seeks to provide emerging and established visual artists with an alternative space to show their work outside of a commercial gallery setting. In furthering its mission to provide economic and professional development opportunities for artists, Fresh Arts dedicates time and resources to mentoring each exhibiting artist along the process of presenting a public exhibition, from marketing, to pricing, presentation skills, cultivating clientele, and more.
Fresh Arts Gallery is located within Winter Street Studios (2101 Winter Street) in the Arts District of Houston's Historic First Ward.
All proposals for exhibitions submitted by October 7, 2012 will be reviewed by the Artist Advisory Board for exhibitions to be scheduled between March-December 2013.
The Artist Advisory Board serves as the curatorial voice for Fresh Arts. The committee consists of a diverse group of local artists and arts professionals representing a variety of arts disciplines.
Fresh Arts' Artist Advisory Board will consider proposals that are one or more of the following:
- * A single artist’s work
- * More than one artist's work and that are thematically coherent
- * Original and innovative
- * Non-Commercial
- * Site specific
- * New or underrepresented work
- * Multi-disciplinary
If you are proposing an installation-based exhibition, you must submit the following information:
- * Number of art works
- * Size of each piece
- * Matting & framing requirements (if applicable)
- * Installation details
- * Equipment needed and who is providing
- * Photos of previous installations
WHAT IT MEANS TO EXHIBIT AT FRESH ARTS
If selected for a Fresh Arts ARC Exhibition, please note that the Artist and Fresh Arts must abide by the following:
1. All artists exhibiting at the Fresh Arts ARC must have an updated profile in Fresh Arts' Artist Registry and must be a Fresh Arts Artist Member ($50)
a. Fresh Arts Membership information available here.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You do not have to be a Fresh Arts member in order to submit. Membership is required only if you are selected.
2. All artists must commit to providing Fresh Arts with necessary images, bios, CV, and other exhibition related materials in a timely fashion.
3. Artists must collaborate with Fresh Arts to create a press release, which Fresh Arts agrees to distribute to a targeted media list
4. Artist must collaborate with Fresh Arts to promote the exhibition through community calendars and postcard distribution
5. Fresh Arts will cover the cost of marketing postcards
6. Fresh Arts will feature the event on its website and through its social media channels
7. The artist is fully responsible for exhibition installation, including framing, display supplies, and hanging.
8. The artist is responsible for exhibition labels. Fresh Arts will take care of the design and cost of basic vinyl lettering/signage for the exhibition.
9. The artist is fully responsible for returning Fresh Arts' gallery space to its original condition following the exhibition (patch holes/repaint)
10. Fresh Arts will provide beverages for the opening reception (beer, wine, vodka, sodas, water); food (if desired) is the artist's responsibility
11. Artists will commit to participate in any gallery sitting associated with gallery hours agreed upon by the artist and Fresh Arts (specifically, the artist will be present for any Winter Street Studio's 2nd Saturday Open Studio events)
12. During the run of the show, 15% of all sales go to Fresh Arts
1. Make sure you have a Profile on www.spacetaker.org and that it is current and complete, including your Bio in the “About” section, your Artist Statement, and Contact Information.
2. Include 4 to 6 digital images of your proposed artwork in a Portfolio connected to your Profile.
a. At the basic, free level, you can have 1 Portfolio attached to your Profile. (For additional Portfolios, you may upgrade your account to become a Fresh Arts Artist Member for a $50 annual fee.)
3. After your Fresh Arts Profile & Portfolio are complete, FILL OUT THIS ONLINE FORM TO COMPLETE YOUR SUBMISSION: http://bit.ly/ARCExhibForm
Any questions must be submitted to email@example.com
NOTE: The selection process may take 2 – 3 weeks for completion after the deadline. You will be notified of your proposal status as soon as the selection process is finalized.